Frieda's Sweet Potato Latkes
Another favorite from my Grandmother Frieda (yes she brought
this recipe with her from the old country), the rumor is that
when her parents arrived in Chicago (circa 1900) all they
could find was sweet potatoes. This recipe has been passed
down through 4 generations, Grandma Frieda, thanks for being
one of the best mentors I ever had (and a great cook too).
You will always be one of the original Sirens of Sherwood.
Thanks for the love.
2 lg. cooked sweet potatoes, mashed
3 eggs, beaten
2 carrots, grated and lightly steamed
1 lg. zucchini, grated
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
- Mix all ingredients except oil.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over low heat for
- Drop 2- tablespoons of the sweet potato mixture into
hot oil. Use spatula to flatten pancakes slightly.
- Cook each pancake for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Test for doneness.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in oven.
RETURN TO RECIPE